2015 reading challenge: august

Reading of the month:
"Measuring the World" by Daniel Kehlmann

“Nobody, said Humboldt, had a destiny. One simply decided to feign one until one came to believe in it oneself. But so many things didn't fit in with it, one had to really force oneself.”

"Late in the eighteenth century, two young Germans set out to measure the world. 
One of them, the aristocratic naturalist Alexander von Humboldt, negotiates jungles, voyages down the Orinoco River, tastes poisons, climbs the highest mountain known to man, counts head lice, and explores and measures every cave and hill he comes across. The other, the reclusive and barely socialized mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss, can prove that space is curved without leaving his home. Terrifyingly famous and wildly eccentric, these two polar opposites finally meet in Berlin in 1828, and are immediately embroiled in the turmoil of the post-Napolean world."



Since I am a lover of natural history ( which means, visiting museums and looking at all the pretty stuff there), I thought this book might be the perfect read for August, the month where summer reaches her climax. The temperatures were never lower than 30°C, so far, and even climbed up to 40°C. The summer holidays are in full swing and we (children and pedagogues) enjoy the days near lakes and other watery places... And since summer has always a hint of adventures, this book is simply perfect! :)


Happy Reading!

______________________________________________________________________________________
Every month, I share with you one book, I am currently reading. Follow me on my literary journey through the year and discover new books.
 The covers always show the edition I own. Start your own reading challenge, either for yourself or join the goodreads reading challenge.

Keine Kommentare: