2014 reading challenge: may.

Reading of the month:
"Around the world in eighty days" by Jules Verne

 “I saw the world. I learnt of new cultures. I flew across an ocean. I wore women's clothing. Made a friend. Fell in love. Who cares if I lost a wager?

Queen Victoria: I do! I've got 20 quid riding on you” 


"Around the World in Eighty Days is a classic. The story starts in London on 2 October 1872. Phileas Fogg is a wealthy, solitary man with regular habits, who fires his former butler for getting wrong the temperature of his shaving water. He hires Passepartout as a replacement. Later that day he gets involved in an argument over an article in the Daily Telegraph, stating that with the opening of a new railway in India, it is now possible to travel around the world in eighty days. The exciting, if now dated, adventure of Fogg and Passepartout will entertain modern readers as much as it did the Victorians."




Two years ago, I read "Journey to the centre of the earth" by Jules Verne. I really love his books and admire his imagination. To imagine worlds like he did is really a gift. This month I follow Phileas Fogg on his journey around the world. I love the victorian time, and to experience a journey like his at 1872 must have been very adventurous!



Happy Reading! 

 _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Every month, I share with you one book, I am currently reading. Follow me on my literary journey through the year and discover new books.
 The covers always show the edition I own. Start your own reading challenge, either for yourself or join the goodreads reading challenge.


1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Die Bücher von Jules Verne habe ich auch fast alle gelesen , es ist schon erstaunlich was er schon vor so langer Zeit von der Zukunft gedacht hat.
Lieben Gruß, Patricia